Why the 1978 citizen 9140A SCIENTIFIC is so rare?

Well being the only collector in the world with more than 4 of those watches it kinda makes me a defacto authority .
As i have been for more than 10 months buying actively all the known ones . I did realize that they are extremly rare .But why is that such a nicely built and very well engineered watch is so rare .What made Citizen pull the plug on such a nice product .After talking to some people i found out that the original price back in 1978 was of $295 almost $300 with tax .
This was a lot of money for a watch back then (and still is )!.The customer base for such a nice product where geeks and engineers.And the computer revolution had just started(apple II was in full swing) .So it was probably a little too late for that scientific tool. I would not be surprised that the sales were disastrous for Citizen and the complexity of the watch made it not very affordable or cheap to produce ,so the best solution was to probably shut down production .
I have located one more of those watches .And put an offer already .To me they are the only master pieces of the whole calculator watch thing .I know that well because i have them all !
Original Post
Hi cousin !

I got the two POLARAS ..One for you one for me
So pay now !
On another topic .The P1 pulsar are more commun than the CITIZENs .There are at least 30 to be known in existance .With the added attractive that they are made of gold .So the audience is much more wide spread .The CITIZEN is a watch for CONNOSOURS for geeks or scientists ,people that appreciate the tecnical aspect of the mathematical algorithm implementations and the beauty of a well crafted precision machine .This is my case my goal is to become and match Bruce Wegmann's equivalent knowdlege in the CITIZEN piece . Bruce has 8 P1s .I have 5 CITIZENs 3 more to go !

Happy LABOR DAY fellow Americans !
Being an avid watch collector myself, I have a question in all this too--Does watch collecting ever end for the connosour?? For me--NO! Ah--also, let's not forget the National Semiconductor LCD Scientific Calculator Watch too. Weren't only a few of those only manufactured too? I have had only two in my over 30+ years in collecting--both in complete New-Old-Stock appearance. Just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the history of the NSC Calc. Watch. Just my 2 cents-
Hi friends
My cousin and i have one NSC each one of us .For a very early scientific watch is a must have .As is a historic watch .We discussed the history of this watch here and there .It seems that it was born around 1975 when it got portayed on popular electronics , I wrote this on the subjet already :

Posted 04 June 2011 11:13 Hide Post
Well
This one has been know over the years as the CALCRON calculator watch
http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/Calcron.htm
It seems that the first version was only calculator ,not watch.
There is a nice commentary about the inventor at the DWF site .But i never knew the connection with the national semiconductor module .The inventor of the CALCRON had patents that credited him as the inventor of the calculator
watch .But it makes sense that he had to go to a big foundry like NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR to have his chips made
Maybe that's how that company got into that business
So so many things to fill up yet .
What is Louis Erard doing here anyways ??

We are also on the look out for those watches .So we need more if you guys want to sell let us know : We are buying ..

On a personal note ,cousin CANITO is a well renown scientist .I would like in some near future service those watches to keep them alive for future generations .I even got me a nice gold bonding machine that does a marvelous job .So i will do this from a very professional perspective .But i don't have the time for now .
I hope some day i will .And i can put my passion to good use .
Regards
quote:
Originally posted by CANITO:
Well being the only collector in the world with more than 4 of those watches it kinda makes me a defacto authority .
That's a bold statement. Can you prove it? Not every collector brags around in forums with his precious items.
At one point I owned twelve Casio fx-992S (a much better calculator than the CSCW BTW ;-) ), all differnt production years and production sites - does this make me an authority?

I'm very interested in any detail of the CSCW. Internal chip structure, development history, photos of the PCB and buttons etc., anything you have. Why not share with others your deep knowledge about this watch?
But I doubt it will be possible to "to become and match Bruce Wegmann's equivalent knowdlege in the CITIZEN piece" - simply because even buying all the CSCWs in existance gives no knowledge at all. One would have to interview the people who developed this watch, gain access to factory documents of serial numbers, plans, correspondence, circuit schematics, etc to be able to match Bruce Wegmann's level of knowledge (and BTW: there are some more people besides Bruce who know the P1..P3 in every detail).

BTW: You mention several times a CONNOSOUR. My dictionary does not know this word. Sounds like an extinct animal?
quote:
Originally posted by Elton:
....National Semiconductor LCD Scientific Calculator Watch We discussed the history of this watch here and there .It seems that it was born around 1975 when it got portayed on popular electronics , I wrote this on the subjet already
Link to that thread: http://pocketcalculatorshow.co...983521/m/56120620051
Not much information there, actually. The best is what Fibular Noggin already quoted from Peter Doensen:
"The LCD 'Micro Computer' or 'Chronomat' of National Semiconductor USA receives a tremendous amount of attention at the Basle Fair 1977. It was a truly scientific watch calculator. The watch contained the smallest wrist calculator ever produced at that time. It was sold by a number of different firms: Belltime of the Netherlands, Bell Telephone of Belgium, Chronar Corp. Princeton USA, Marcel Watch Co. of New York, The International Display Centre of Antwerp, Belgium, Bapic S.A. Geneva and Louis Erard of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. It was possible to deliver the watch with or without solar-cells."

So the history is IMO quite easy: National Semiconductor developed the module and it was sold under several brands, including the mentioned "Louis Erard".

Can you please post a link to the "nice commentary about the inventor at the DWF site"? I searched there but didn't find anything, neither on dwf.nu nor dwf.cc.

Another question: I can't find any evidence for the statement that the first version of the Calcron (IF there were different versions at all) was "only calculator, not watch".
quote:
Originally posted by Seiko Kid:
Canito - Are you related to Elton?

I think you're on to something. Who puts spaces before full-stops but not after?

quote:
After talking to some people i found out that the original price back in 1978 was of $295 almost $300 with tax .

If you really had 4 - a lot of the known ones (presumably, given your quoted time-frame, including Arch's), you would know this because of the tags it comes with.

Also, it goes without saying that contrary to your claims, you don't have them all... Roll Eyes

Please post pictures of your Citizen Scientifics... I am rather skeptical of your claims.

quote:

Oh really? Being far more qualified than any of us, surely you're the one with the answer to the question titling this thread.
rewolf--this is a question for you--maybe you might know--Would you know how many of the NCS Sci/Calc. Watch was manufactured? I also have seen an advert for this very same watch in all gold-tone but with the "NOVUS" name on the calc. lid. I realize the name Nat Semi and NOVUS are one in the same company. Does anyone here have this watch in the all gold-tone version??
quote:
Originally posted by TIMELINE:
rewolf--this is a question for you--maybe you might know--Would you know how many of the NCS Sci/Calc. Watch was manufactured?
I'm afraid I have no idea at all.
But maybe when Canito/Elton has finished his quest for gathering all CSCWs in this world he will focus on the NSCSSW and then will be able to answer this question like all the other questions in this thread Big Grin

Add Reply

Likes (0)