Seiko DATA-2000 display problem 'Too dark'

Hi
I recently bought a Seiko DATA-2000 I replace the batteries in both watch and keyboard. I performed the reset,working but the lcd is display very dark. In sunlight you can see it clearly but when indoors dimlight it is very hard to make it out.
Is this a uv filter or simular?
Is this normal ?
if not can it be altered/repair

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post
Put the watch in the keyboard, switch watch to transmit mode, switch keyboard on and then use the CNT key (with/without shift key as appropriate) to adjust the contrast. All the Seiko computer watches default to this dark state when you change the batteries. If this does not work then you have probably damaged the receive coil in the watch when you changed the battery, almost impossible to repair- you have to find a donor watch with a good one.
All the Seiko computer watches are very similar in operation and really just differ in the features they offer (some have more memory, scheduler, memo, date diary or calculator). I have instruction manuals for the Data-2000, UC-3000 and Memo (two different ones- one for the small box set and the other for the A4 size presentation set). All the functions are straightforward except the scheduler which asks for the date first thing- it needs this in numerical month-day format.

All the manuals are great long, odd shaped things- shortest is about 24 pages! Suppose I really ought to settle down scan and distil them!
Well I followed the instructions from Old tom, Place the watch on the keyboard Pressed Transmit then adjusted the contrast, by pressing shift (SFT) and then pressing Contrast(CNT)repeatly till it presented a clear display.

Now I can enjoy my £1 boot sale vintage watch.
Very suprising what you pick up these days, only the other day I picked up a casio AE-21w also for £1.
Going to show it off tonight me thinks...
Originally Posted by Old Tom:
Put the watch in the keyboard, switch watch to transmit mode, switch keyboard on and then use the CNT key (with/without shift key as appropriate) to adjust the contrast. All the Seiko computer watches default to this dark state when you change the batteries. If this does not work then you have probably damaged the receive coil in the watch when you changed the battery, almost impossible to repair- you have to find a donor watch with a good one.

Hi,

You are right tome "almost" impossible, but if you have the right tools it is possible. My watch had a damaged coil too but managed to get it working again. Basically I threw away the  damaged coil and made a new one....but I had to make a coil winding machine first (manual) and the work needs to be done under microscope since the wire is thinner than a human hair.  But the end result is all worth it.

P.S. Taking out the old coil is a pain, unless you use an oven and heat it just enough not to melt the coil support, but melt the glue that holds the coil in place.

Cheers,

Tibi

Hi there, 

I noticed you guys have some knowledge about this watch. I'm having a problem with the display that I can't seem to fix. At first what I thought to be a battery issue now seems to be some sort of connective issue. The kind member that has been trying to help me here:

http://forum.pocketcalculators...ry-lasts-about-a-day

Told me that I should maybe try and ask you about it. The thread above will sum up everything. I'd be most grateful for any help.

Thank you

Hi,

I read the thread in the link you posted and the issue is interesting. My guess is that the integrated circuit inside the watch is OK since it works from time to time. Also it doesn't sound like a short, that would have caused quick battery drainage and the watch would probably have a blank screen or keep staying on 12:00 o'clock like after a reset (that is what the reset does, it shorts the + and -). What it sound like is that you have a a bad connection somewhere in the watch, what I would do is disassemble it completely and clean it with isopropyl alcohol or some other alcohol based cleaning solution. Be careful not to get too much on plastic parts as they are old and can become brittle under alcohol. You can use a Q-tip for cleaning. Put it back together and see if that does the trick. But I don't know if you are into this type of work, it does require much attention and maybe a magnifier at least(I use a microscope - it makes it easier to spot physical damage to the boards or components), and some tools.

I would offer to do it for you but it depends if you have the trust and are willing to ship it (I live in Romania btw).

Cheers,

Tiberiu

Hey, wow, thank you for the reply and the awesome info! That gives me hope. I want to be clear about what is happening. When you say:

"Also it doesn't sound like a short, that would have caused quick battery drainage and the watch would probably have a blank screen or keep staying on 12:00 o'clock like after a reset (that is what the reset does, it shorts the + and -)."

Do you mean it would sit on 12:00 and not advance? Or do you mean that every time it started working it will reset back to 12:00? It is indeed the latter. The watch hasn't always required a reset to get going, it's true it has just all-of-the-sudden come to life, but when it does it's reset back to 12:00 every time and running. I've defiantly had to short it to get it going way more times than it starts on its own. I't only started on its own maybe 5-6 times for the week and a half i've owned it, and then double that for the amount of times I've shorted it to get it going. What do you think?

As for taking it apart and cleaning it (if you still think that's a good idea) Ill look at it and see if I'm up for it. Otherwise, I feel like Id be ok with sending it to you  

Thank you again, very nice of you.

I haven't done on this particular model (a continued short), so the fact that it would sit on 12:00  is an assumption based on the fact that if you short it it would start from 12:00. It may require a cycle (short/"unshort"/short) for the reset, in this situation it will not sit on 12:00 even if you keep a "forever" short.

But your case is different because the watch dies, and when it comes back to life it is on 12:00, meaning it is actually brought back to life by a short. It is very hard to tell exactly what is wrong with it but a bad connection could be to blame from the symptoms. I would definitely go with a complete clean first. If that will not work then it's on to the multimeter and service manual...measuring values of components. 

If you decide to do it yourself, the most common place mistakes are made is with the transmission coil. It sits around the battery, and if you damage this while disassemble the watch (slipping screwdriver) it will be a hard time to make a new one, and there are no spares to be found anymore. So please keep this in mind if you do it yourself or remind this to the person that is doing the disassembly.

I would do it for you free of charge since I enjoy this kind of work and it is a shame to let such a beautiful piece die. But you would have to cover the shipping costs (don't know where you live) which from Romania to anywhere (tracked standard post) can be from 4 to 10 EUR if I use a bubble wrap envelope with a cardboard cradle inside to protect the watch. Inbound shipping is up to you.'

And of course there is still the chance I may not be able to get it working.

Regards,

Tibi

Add Reply

Likes (0)