Casio DW-2000

A very elegant watch. 
Can you use on occasions and special events.
My everyday watch is the casio DW-210. It's light (resin) and very sturdy (water resistant, mainly).
I'm still riding my new album of my casios updated.
I'll post more pictures soon!

Casio DW-2000

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post

Originally Posted by Richie:

Very very nice Luciano - One I would very much like in my collection!

Hello Rich!

I bought this watch by chance in a batch. I had no idea it was so beautiful. He was with the bad module. I had to buy another module perfect for him. Here in Brazil I have a watchmaker that has some of these modules for sale. Now he is very cute!

It will not be hard for you to have one of this in your collection, I think 

Needing I'm here 

Greetings !

Originally Posted by DWL:

Luciano 

Thats a cracker. Very nice and very rare. If you get a chance could you take some(three) non hairy wrist shots for the library? You have my email.

Again great looking watch

Adam

Hello Adam !

Yes, I do !

Tomorrow I'll send to you three (3) pics in very good quality for your email, right?

As always you are a great friend! 
I also take this opportunity to thank the OLD TOM member about battery tips of the module (242). Old Tom is an expert! 

Greetings !

Originally Posted by Seiko Collector:

Hey engecampos,

That is one very nice watch.

You bought this in a batch? ,you were very lucky to find this in such good condition

Hello SK !

Yes, I bought it of an batch. Really, I had very lucky indeed. I'm very happy with this watch. I did not expect to have this watch and did not know it was so beautiful.

I liked this model too ! 

Originally Posted by 11je12je:

This a rare watch in very good condition!

Looks like a W-850

You are getting a nice Casio collection Luciano!

Hi Erik !

Thanks for you comments ! 

Yes, this watch is very reminiscent of the W-850! 

I think this DW-2000 is very beautiful on the wrist.

My collection is really cool! 

Soon I'll post updated photos of her. 

I found this forum while searching for Casio watch parts...

I have a Casio W-850 that I wear every day.

I need a replacement back, or replacement case for it. 

The piezoelectric crystal on the inside of the screw-on back case fell off of mine the last time the battery was changed. 

If there is another model, with a back that is compatible with the W-850, that's fine. I just want my watch to work again.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-Monte

Originally Posted by Monte:

The piezoelectric crystal on the inside of the screw-on back case fell off of mine the last time the battery was changed. 

If there is another model, with a back that is compatible with the W-850, that's fine. I just want my watch to work again.

-Monte

Hello friend!

The W-850, as well as the DW-2000 use the module 242. If I'm not mistaken, both models do not use the piezoelectric in back cover of watch...

I think the cover from the bottom of DW-1000 is the same as W-850. A friend of the forum who can confirm this for you is our friend Erik (11je12je), because he has one W-850 and also one DW-1000. I have one back cover of DW-1000 for sale.

See if the back cover of your W-850 is equal to the DW-1000 (that is, if it has the same diameter and the same type of thread).

The DW-2000 has a back cover equal to the DW-1000.

Originally Posted by engecampos:

-Monte

Hello friend!

The W-850, as well as the DW-2000 use the module 242. If I'm not mistaken, both models do not use the piezoelectric in back cover of watch...

I think the cover from the bottom of DW-1000 is the same as W-850. A friend of the forum who can confirm this for you is our friend Erik (11je12je), because he has one W-850 and also one DW-1000. I have one back cover of DW-1000 for sale.

See if the back cover of your W-850 is equal to the DW-1000 (that is, if it has the same diameter and the same type of thread).

The DW-2000 has a back cover equal to the DW-1000.

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe Erik (11je12je) will see this thread, and would be willing to compare his W-850 and DW-1000 back covers are compatible.

The back of my watch looks like this:

Photo Jan 30, 7 15 44 PM

Attachments

Photos (1)

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe Erik (11je12je) will see this thread, and would be willing to compare his W-850 and DW-1000 back covers are compatible.

Photo Jan 30, 7 15 44 PM

Ok friend !

I think that back cover of W-850 is equal to the DW-1000.

I attached 2 pics below of back cover of my DW-1000 for spares. 

I used a ruler with measurements in centimeters and the diameter of back cover appears to have about 3.3 cm in diameter.

If Erik confirm it, we can negotiate this cover from the bottom of the DW-1000, ok?

Pics:

IMG_7690

IMG_7693

Regards,

Luciano

Attachments

Photos (2)

Thanks for the reply!

Photo Jan 30, 7 15 44 PM

Ok friend !

I think that back cover of W-850 is equal to the DW-1000.

I attached 2 pics below of back cover of my DW-1000 for spares. 

I used a ruler with measurements in centimeters and the diameter of back cover appears to have about 3.3 cm in diameter.

If Erik confirm it, we can negotiate this cover from the bottom of the DW-1000, ok?

Pics:

IMG_7690

IMG_7693

Regards,

Luciano

That looks pretty close to the measurement I made.

Photo Jan 30, 10 00 39 PM

If I can find the tool to be able to open my watch, and take a picture of the inside of the back cover (where the piezoelectric crystal is supposed to be); would you have the ability to do that with yours?  Assuming Erik doesn't reply to us first and confirm that the two back covers are indeed interchangeable..

Since I'm new to this site and forum, I'm not sure if it's possible to contact a user (Erik) directly.  Does anyone know how I (we) can get a message to him, to ask him to take a look at this discussion thread and see if he can offer any input?

Yours sure looks pretty close to mine, at least from the pictures.  If the threads where it screws to the watch body are the same, and the piezoelectric crystal is in the same spot so the **tiny** spring inside makes contact; then I think we have a winner! I will be very happy to have my watch back fully working again. :-)

-Monte

If I can find the tool to be able to open my watch, and take a picture of the inside of the back cover (where the piezoelectric crystal is supposed to be); would you have the ability to do that with yours?  Assuming Erik doesn't reply to us first and confirm that the two back covers are indeed interchangeable..

Since I'm new to this site and forum, I'm not sure if it's possible to contact a user (Erik) directly.  Does anyone know how I (we) can get a message to him, to ask him to take a look at this discussion thread and see if he can offer any input?

Yours sure looks pretty close to mine, at least from the pictures.  If the threads where it screws to the watch body are the same, and the piezoelectric crystal is in the same spot so the **tiny** spring inside makes contact; then I think we have a winner! I will be very happy to have my watch back fully working again. :-)

-Monte

Hello Monte!

Look, the lid of DW-1000 does not have the piezo electric because the module 280 of DW-1000 has alarm in the crystal. Finally, the spring (alarm) is at the side of the LCD and not the bottom of the module like the module 242.

There is the possibility of put a piezoelectric (ceramic) inside of back cover of the DW-1000. Some watchmakers do it and I can check it for you.

For to contact Erik here in the forum just visit his profile and click in "START DIALOG" that you will send a private message to him.

I think the direct link is this:

http://forum.pocketcalculators...s/292478023327445153

Below I put the photo of module 242 that I have here (defective) and that shows the alarm contacts.

MODULE 242 [CASIO)

Attachments

Photos (1)

I will look in the evening if the back of a DW-1000 fits the W-850

Hi Erik !

Thank you for helping our friend Montre. 

If the back cover of DW-1000 fits perfectly in the W-850 I'll take my back cover of my DW-1000 (spare) to the watchmaker and ask him to put a piezoeletric in it to help our friend Montre.

Erik, I have good news 

Later I'll tell you, ok? 

Anything I'm here.

Hugs

Luciano

Luciano and Erik,

Thank you both for the help with this!

If the back to the DW-1000 doesn't already have the piezoelectric on it, but you could have one put on it; then maybe I could just have one put on my W-850's back? There is nothing else wrong with the watch or the back. 

When I had the battery replaced a few days ago, the watch repair guy said that when he took the back off my watch that the piezoelectric "came out as dust". I asked if the piezoelectric could be replaced, and he said that no it could not. Perhaps that just meant that he couldn't do it, because he did not have (or know where to get) a replacement part.

Can either of you tell me where to get a replacement piezoelectric? 

Erik, since you have a W-850 with an intact piezoelectric, would you be willing to open it and photograph the inside of the back cover for me?  That way, I have a reference for what the piezoelectric should look like and where it should be placed.

Luciano, if replacing the piezoelectric on my watch will fix my problem; that would save your spare DW-1000 for use by someone who's in a bigger bind than I am, and needs that part because theirs is missing/damaged/broken. I don't know where you are (I'm in Atlanta, Georgia in the United States). If you know of a watchmaker who can do this kind of repair, and I can't find one here who can; would you be willing to take my watch's back to your watchmaker and have him/her do it?  I'd be happy to pay you for your time and trouble and whatever the watchmaker charged for the repair.

Again, thank you both *so much* for the help!  I'm glad I found this forum. Clearly there are people here who know a lot more about this watch than I do!  I'd love to have mine fully working again! I bought this watch new. I've worn it every day since I bought it.  I  have dyslexia, which makes it hard for me to read the time on an analog watch with hands.  There don't seem to be many digital watches made any longer that have an hourly chime like this one; and that have a metal case (instead of plastic). 

I would be eternally grateful to any and all involved if somehow my watch could be restored to fully working again!

I just did some more google searching, to see if I could find any information about replacing just the piezoelectric crystal.  I found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-...;hash=item2eb82834e1

Does that look like it would work? 

-Monte

Hello again Monte !

Well, you should to explain better your problem to us... 

Actually, you need the piezoelectric (ceramic) of back cover of your W-850.

I think I can get one for you.

I just need the diameter of original ceramic the W-850.

If Erik to photograph the pottery (piezoeletric) of W-850 and post here for us, I'll try to get one for you, because in São Paulo, here in Brazil, I know a Korean who has a infinity of spare parts for old watches.

Hello again Monte !

Well, you should to explain better your problem to us... 

Actually, you need the piezoelectric (ceramic) of back cover of your W-850.

I think I can get one for you.

I just need the diameter of original ceramic the W-850.

If Erik to photograph the pottery (piezoeletric) of W-850 and post here for us, I'll try to get one for you, because in São Paulo, here in Brazil, I know a Korean who has a infinity of spare parts for old watches.

Hi Luciano,

Sorry my original post wasn't a better description.  Until an hour ago, when I read your comment about having a piezoelectric installed onto the DW-1000 back you have; I didn't even know that was possible.  I thought the only way to repair my watch was to replace the entire back.

If Erik comes through with a picture or pictures that give enough information, and your Korean contact has a part that will work; then I need to find someone who can install it onto my watch's back cover.  What kinds of questions should I ask a watch shop when I call them, in order to find a person who has the tools/knowledge/skills to install the part?

So sorry my original post/question wasn't clear.  I didn't know enough to know what question I should have asked.  I'm learning quite a bit about my watch! 

-Monte

Ok Monte, no problem. 

Look, any watchmaker can do this job. He should to paste the piezoelectric on the inside of the back cover. He will centralize the piezoelectric in the back cover of your W-850 for the 2 alarm contacts are positioned perfectly when the lid is placed in its case of W-850. A contact touches the bottom of the cap, while the other contact touches the piezoelectric, did you know?

Do you know any watchmaker where you live that can do this job?

Otherwise,  will be complicated set your watch, unless you decide to send your watch to a friend of PCS forum (eg ADAM => DWL)  maybe he can do the job for you, ok?

Hi Erik !

Thanks by posting the pics !

Look, Monte has to back cover of the W-850 of him, but it is without the piezoelectric. Maybe I can get this piezoelectric here in Brazil. I need you to tell me what the diameter of the piezoelectric. With the diameter I can try to get one here in Brazil.

See the image below:

P1020308

Attachments

Photos (1)

Diameter = 2cm.

Ok Erik !

I'll find out if the Korean watchmaker of São Paulo has this piezoelectric for sale. I do not know if Monte has a watchmaker who can put this piezoelectric for him, but either way I'll see if I can get that part for him.

Thanks for help Erik ! 

Greetings,

Luciano

it doesnt matter the size of the Piezo.  just make sure you put it in the correct place so it makes a contact with the speaker lead (s) 

I have one here i will send you for free   ..    I use the same epoxy glue to fit crystals also to fit the piezo.

send me your address if you need one

Perfect SK !

It really works! 

What matters is that one part of the contact has to touch the piezoelectric and the other has to touch the bottom cover of the watch. Just that!

Well, I hope that Monte be able to fix this piezoelectric on the bottom of his W-850. The epoxy glue is ideal for this. 

Hello all.

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to chime back in.  Family emergency that was out of my control. :/

This is amazing. I've learned so much about my watch, and watches in general since posting my first message in this thread!  Thank you to everyone who has chimed in. This kind of knowledge sharing, is (at least to me) what the Internet is all about!

Seiko Kid - Thank you. I will definitely take you up on your offer to send me a piezo. I'll send you a private message with my address in it as soon as I finish this post.

Erik and Luciano - The information you two have provided and the extra time to take and post pictures has been invaluable. Thank you both for being willing to share your knowledge and for the extra time to take the pictures!  Luciano - I will definitely remember that you have a good contact in São Paulo for piezo's.  If I ever need another one, I know just who to contact! :-)

Thanks everyone. I'll post pictures and an update once I get the piezo and get it installed!

-Monte

Hello Monte!

It's okay my friend! 

Welcome to PCS Forum !!!

The intent of this forum is this, to help the friends watch lovers about their old digital watches .

I hope you can solve your problem soon. Seiko Kid should give you some more tips so you can put the piezoelectric in back cover of your W-850.

Look, do not forget to tell us and show the result of your W-850, right? 

I have this watch as well. It's actually just a little smaller than the TW-7000.  But it was my first all metal CASIO digital watch and I don't plan on ever selling it.

By the way, what battery are you guys using in yours?  The original 920R is no longer made.  I have seen the 370 and 371 used.  But I find that the non-rechargeable batteries have a different voltage and so the back light is rather weak.

Originally Posted by Seiko Collector:

"bump"

Is a way to put your topic visible again (on top again), if it's a bit forgotten 

Maybe someone can give an anwser to NYPD's battery question ? ,i myself haven't got a clue.

Thanks for the info Seiko Collector !

Here in Brazil we use the word "UP" to highlight the topic that is long forgotten. So, I did not use the "BUMP". But now everything is ok! 

Look, about the battery used in the DW-2000, the original factory is the Panasonic 920R indeed. This battery is no longer manufactured by Panasonic. But talking to OLD TOM (here the PCS forum) he told me that this battery can be replaced by MT920 (which is also rechargeable). This battery costs about 10 times more expensive than the battery 370/371 (non-rechargeable). My DW-2000 is using the battery 371. I also have (as a reserve) the battery MT920. I bought here in Brazil for 30 usd. In the case of weak light usually does not have much to do with the battery. Sometimes that is the lamp (bulb light) itself is not as strong as the other. I say it because I have 3 modules casio 240 who are using the CR2320 battery and the light from each is different for each module. A light stronger than the other. So I think that often the dim light may be the lamp that illuminates itself weaker.

About My DW-2000 uses 371 battery: Because it kept getting in my drawers (without the presence of sunlight), I do not think convenient to put the battery MT920 (which is rechargeable the presence of sunlight or bright artificial light). But someday I will use this battery (MT920) in my DW-2000 so that the module and the load cell (in the crystal) can work a bit. 

Luciano, thank you for the battery information.

There is an SR920W battery made today that will fit, but it is not rechargeable.  However, it is identical to the Renata 370, so nothing special.  I had bought a rechargeable cell which I believe is the MT920, but it didn't work in my previous module. The replacement module came with a battery so I never tried the MT920, so now I'm curious. I was a little fearful that the wrong battery might cause a module failure.

Originally Posted by Xevious:

Engecampos, did you ever try an MT920 in your DW-2000?  If it worked was it as good as the 370?  I find that the 370 cannot power the back light very well and so it is a little dim.

Hello Xevious !

I bought a MT920 ( rechargeable ) battery Panasonic 2 years ago for about 28 usd here in Brazil , but it is outside the module temporarily . I just bought this battery because it is the one that perfectly replaces the original battery 920R in the module . The MT920 works perfectly on the DW-2000 module, but the loader solar cell needs to be working as it should . With this MT920 battery the watch also to need, sometimes, to be in the sun to recharge it . I just tested this battery and the module works perfectly with it, but look, some modules of DW-2000 are with loader solar cell defective and so it will only work with non-rechargeable battery such as 370 or even SR920W. This module is also quite fragile. I am using a 370 Energizer battery that is not rechargeable and costs about 10 times cheaper than MT920R (see pic below). The module works perfectly with the 370 , but to this day I do not know if this can cause some damage to loader solar cell. I think the OLD TOM (here of PCS forum ) could give us more information about it and I hope he read this topic if he is still active.

IMG_0111

Attachments

Photos (1)
Regarding the dim light, it may be that the micro lamp (bulbs) of module is low, but this is easy to solve. These watches often use micro bulbs standards, and any micro lamp of other old module (such as marlin, G-Shocks, etc.) 80s can perfectly replace that dim bulb of your DW-2000. To answer your earlier question, I currently use on my DW-2000 the 370 battery and the light has a good intensity. I tested here and both batteries (370 and MT920) has the same luminous intensity.
Regarding the dim light, it may be that the micro lamp (bulbs) of module is low, but this is easy to solve. These watches often use micro bulbs standards, and any micro lamp of other old module (such as marlin, G-Shocks, etc.) 80s can perfectly replace that dim bulb of your DW-2000. To answer your earlier question, I currently use on my DW-2000 the 370 battery and the light has a good intensity. I tested here and both batteries (370 and MT920) has the same luminous intensity.

Good to know this, engecampos.  I agree, those 242 modules are fragile.  My very first DW-2000 did not survive having a dead battery in it for a long period.  No leakage, but I was never able to activate the module.  By the way, the dim light seems to be caused by a drained battery.  It didn't last more than 3 years with hardly any use, which surprised me.  I do not think that a non-rechargeable battery will harm the solar cells, as the energy goes in only one direction.  But as for load on the module/battery... all you have to do is break the connection at one of the two points (a little electrical tape will do) to alleviate any worry.  Yet, I don't think it's necessary unless you expose the watch to direct sunlight for long periods.

Add Reply